Chambers Global 2017 ranks DERLING’s lawyers among the best in Estonia
Chambers Global, a reputable guide on international markets for legal services, ranked DERLING among the best law firms in Estonia and recognised a number of DERLING’s lawyers personally in the most recent edition.
- Clients describe managing partner Hannes Vallikivi as “always open, very direct” and “easy to talk to”. They also praise his ability to explain legal matters and provide solutions in a “clear and transparent way”. These assessments were given in view of his experience in banking and finance, as well as M&A deals and general corporate matters. In 2016, for example, Hannes advised global financial institutions such as ABN Amro, ING Bank, Société Générale and Ford Credit on cross-border financing transactions.
- Partner Rolan Jankelevitsh is regarded by clients as “a versatile and creative lawyer” who “is easy to talk to” and who “analyses all the details very well and always gives suggestions with very specific explanations”. He is particularly recognised for his expertise in tax, M&A and general corporate and commercial matters. In 2016, Rolan advised inter alia the shareholders of Nortal AS, the largest software development company in the Baltic States, on buying out the company.
- Partner Erki Kergandberg is commended by clients as “a great strategist” and one of the best Estonian litigation lawyers. Erki advises clients on a range of civil, administrative and criminal disputes, including tax matters and white-collar crime, handling both litigation and arbitration. Advising AS Liviko, Estonia’s largest alcohol producer, on an alleged cartel case has been intensively covered by the media recently.
- Partner Elmer Muna is recognised by clients as being „good at both the background work and court practice”. Elmer Muna has a broad practice covering a spectrum of disputes, including bankruptcy issues, and is particularly well regarded for his experience in public procurement disputes. In 2016, Elmer helped Forum Cinemas AS win an important case related to the liability of a former management board member in the Supreme Court, and more recently Elmer achieved a positive outcome in the Supreme Court for an Estonian investment firm in a dispute that had arisen from the acquisition of the company. Elmer represents the interests of Selver in a high-profile criminal case of an alleged alcohol cartel.
- Margo Lemetti, the head of DERLING’s Tartu office and a partner, is praised for excellent client service. Margo’s areas of expertise include general corporate matters, M&A deals, litigation and arbitration, including civil and administrative cases. In 2016, Margo advised inter alia the majority shareholder of HaServ, Estonia’s leading producer of sauna material and saunas, on the sale of the shareholding.
Chambers Global conducts annual surveys, based on which the best law firms and lawyers around the world are determined. The results are published after extensive interviews with lawyers working in law firms and their clients.