Regulatory and Compliance
“Highly professional and approachable”
(The Legal 500, 2018)
Our team advises clients on compliance issues in a wide range of areas in diverse industries.
Our experience in compliance matters enables us to advise on regulatory compliance and risk management issues also in connection with our large transactional practice (mergers and acquisitions, financial transactions, due diligence reviews). In particular, we provide compliance assistance in the following areas:
- Compliance for participants of financial markets (finance institutions, insurance companies, issuers of publicly traded securities etc.)
- Corporate governance guidelines (codes of conduct and other policies): developing, implementing and training
- Compliance advice on specific corporate issues, including anti-bribery, anti-corruption, whistleblowing management, competition law
- Personal data processing matters
- Support with various internal investigations
- Operations with excise goods (alcohol, tobacco products, petroleum products, natural gas, etc.)
- Setting up and operation of tax warehouses and customs warehouses
- Marketing, wholesale and retail distribution of pharmaceutical products
- Compliance with consumer protection laws (such as, distance contracts, consumer financial services, electronic commerce, unfair business-to-consumer commercial practices, sweepstakes, promotions)
- Drafting of rules for lotteries, licensing of lotteries
- Compliance with Latvia specific Unfair Retail Trade Practices Prohibition Law for retailers
- Immigration and work permits, visas
- AML/KYC compliance for our banking and non-banking clients
- Advice on due diligence procedures of our clients` suppliers and other third parties
Our services include compliance status checks, audits, designing and development of internal procedures, training, interaction with authorities for obtaining licenses, permits and registrations, support during investigations and representation before authorities and during court proceedings.
Our team’s experience includes:
- Advising a French electronic communications operator on certain aspects of Latvian data protection rules. Our client is dedicated to deploying wireless LPWA (Low-Power Wide-Area) networks to connect low-energy objects (the Internet of Things).
- Advising a global France-based logistics company in respect of the contemplated introduction of whistleblowing system. PRIMUS services involved advising on data protection rules and localization of group-wide whistleblowing procedures to the Latvian legal environment.
- Assisting a steel construction production company on elaboration of set of documents for registration of data processing (video surveillance in and outside the premises of the company) in the State Data Inspectorate.
- Assisting Riga Airport Commercial Development AS, HAVAS Latvia SIA (TAV Airports group companies) and Unifree Latvia SIA (a Unifree group company) in obtaining visas and temporary residence permits and permanent residence permits for the employees, management board members and members of the council of the companies.
- Assisting Riga Airport Commercial Development AS and SIA TAV LATVIA OPERATION SERVICES (TAV Airports group companies) in acquiring mandatory licences for operations of duty-free shops and business lounge in the International Riga Airport.
- Advised TAV Latvia SIA and Riga Airport Commercial Development AS (TAV Airports group companies) in daily matters related to compliance and data processing issues.
- Comprehensive legal assistance to ensure that the opening and operation of LHV Pank branch in the Republic of Latvia is compliant with the laws and regulations of the Republic of Latvia. PRIMUS elaborated the respective provisions of internal and external rules required for operation of the branch, such as internal rules in relation to anti-money laundering and terrorism financing prevention, outsourcing, internet banking, deposits, payment services, investment services, general terms and conditions, debit/credit cards, customers’ data processing, provision of credit limits.
- Legal assistance to AS Expobank in daily matters related to financial services and compliance.
- Legal assistance by drafting internal competition law compliance rules for a Latvian technical equipment distribution and engineering solutions company.