“Has strength in the energy and natural resources sectors.”
(The Legal 500, 2017)
Our energy and utilities lawyers have the knowledge and experience required for energy sector transactions and advise clients from different industries on regulatory matters. We render legal advice related to CO2 emission quotas and trade in quotas, structuring of energy companies’ operations, establishing and licensing of energy companies, energy connection and supply contracts, carry out legal and tax feasibility study regarding energy efficiency measures.
- Energy and Infrastructure Projects
- Exploration and Exploitation of Natural Resources
- Sovereignty over Natural Resources
- Licensing, Authorizations and Concessions
- The Energy Charter Treaty
- Electricity, Gas and District Heating Regulation
- Renewable Energy
- Implementation of EU II and III Energy Packages
- Power Sales and Distribution
Our team’s experience includes:
- Advising a producer of biogas in Lithuania in connection to setting up a biogas production plant in Lithuania as well as in connection to licensing issues and issues of connection to gas transmission and distribution networks and sale of the produced biogas to the national gas company.
- Assistance to a general partnership formed by three leading local energo construction companies LEC SIA, RECK SIA, EMPOWER SIA with respect to the contract on reconstruction of the Kurzeme Ring 110 kV power transmission lines in section Ventspils – Tume – Riga, reinforcing them with 330 kV line.
- Advising Juglas Jauda SIA, the owner of third largest co-generation or combined heat and power station (burning fossil fuel) in the Republic of Latvia (the two plants that rank first and second respectively are TEC 1 and TEC 2, CHP stations that are government owned), on day-to-day issues, acting for the client before court in civil proceedings relating to breaches committed during the construction period of the CHP station and administrative cases relating to challenging of decisions made by the Public Utilities Commission, successful representation in court proceedings against insurance company in a dispute for damage recovery.
- Delivering legal opinion to the Ministry on Environmental Protection and Regional Development on climate change issues, especially the assigned amount units.
- Representing a major international Finnish capital energy infrastructure construction company in a dispute concerning reconstruction of major regional Šiauliai transformer substation 330/110/10 kV.
- Advising a major Estonian state-owned energy company in Estonia in preparation of electricity sales contracts.
- Advising a German based company, which constructs wind power stations across Europe, with respect to planning and construction of 3 wind parks in Latvia with the total capacity of 82,5 MW, including work with the land owners, drafting of lease and construction agreements, coordination of protection strips with neighbors, cooperation with municipalities, legal limitations on nature protection, environmental impact assessment, licenses and construction permits, cable route, electric substations, road-building etc.
- Advising and representing a major company in Lithuanian energetic sector in a dispute with the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania and the Lithuanian Business Support Agency (LBSA) regarding the decisions to reject the clients’ application for European Union funding.
- Legal advice to Energia Verde SIA, one of a few companies that has obtained strictly limited right to sell electricity under mandatory procurement and intends to erect one of the largest combined heat and power plants using biomass in Latvia. In interests of Nordea Bank conducted a due diligence of the project and provided our opinion to the bank. Assistance during the project financing process and during further construction of the combined biomass heat and power plant.
- Within a potential energy efficiency project performed legal assessment for the possibilities to set up the special connection (to connect a substation to a high voltage electricity supply network). The advice comprised elaboration of different financing models for the construction of the substation for the needs of a manufacturing plant, and models of ownership transfer and recovery of the construction investments.