Shipping and Transportation
“Flexibility and the ability to continuously
adapt to the rhythm of a business”
(The Legal 500, Shipping and Transport, 2015)
PRIMUS lawyers offer legal assistance in different aspects of transportation law (road, rail transport, maritime, aviation law). Our advice in maritime law includes legal advice on drafting and submitting of vessel registration documents, registration of mortgage on vessels, legal aspects of seamen employment and taxation, legal aspects of carriers’ liability, representing clients in disputes in conjunction with international shipments. We have considerable experience representing clients in local and cross-border disputes related with transportation infrastructure, airport fees, arrest of vessels as well in cases related to liability of carriers. We have considerable experience in drafting forwarding, stevedoring, ship agency and ship management documentation.
Aviation law is another area where we have wide experience and excellent knowledge of the sector.
Legal services include:
- Arrests of Ships & Defence
- Bill of Lading Disputes
- Cargo Claims
- Marine Insurance
- Ship Finance & Purchase
- Ship management and agency
- Forwarding and Stevedoring
- Carriage of Goods by Road, Ships and Rail
- Traffic of persons by Rail
- Liability of Carriers
- Liberalisation of Rail Transport Market
- Rail Transport Infrastructure Access and Tariffs
Our team’s experience includes:
- Assisted one of the biggest companies in Latvia providing international passenger traffic by railway L-EKSPRESIS SIA in a project regarding purchase of multiple train cars from a Third Country; assistance in the process of concluding cooperation agreement with one of the largest foreign train car production companies in order to establish joint production of train cars for specific market, assistance in company’s depot modernization. Assisting the company on everyday basis on various legal issues.
- Assisting Turkish Airlines on transport law in Lithuania and Estonia on an ongoing basis.
- Representing ALPHA SHIPPING COMPANY SIA (offers its clients a complete range of shipping services, including freight forwarding, chartering, ship broking, and ship agency services in all of Latvia’s ports) in all legal aspects of the companies every day work, including assistance in sale-purchase of a ship.
- Representing Binders SIA, the most voluminous, strongest road construction company in Latvia, in various legal matters and disputes.
- Representing two Eastern Europe aviation companies in a highly complex dispute against large Asian air career in arbitration court.
- Advising LSEZ Dan Store SIA, a company with several terminals in the territory of Liepāja special economic zone, on every day basis, including legal support on complex commercial matters in the field of forwarding and stevedoring.
- Advising company offering retail trade services of motor vehicle parts and accessories Balti Bussi Group in procurement organized by Rezeknes Municipality for supply of 34 new busses, total amount of the procurement being around 4 million EUR.
- Advising Turkey’s global brand in airport operations TAV Airports group and its subsidiaries TAV Operation Services SIA and BTA SIA in commencement of their operations in Latvia – incorporation of Latvian subsidiaries, obtaining all licences and registrations required for intended business activities. Assisted TAV Operation Services Latvia in entering into commercial agreements with airlines for business lounge services and both the above companies in entering in commercial agreements with suppliers of goods and services.
- Advising the biggest coach carriage operators in the Baltics Lux Express on the regulatory environment in regard to opening new routes in Lithuania.
- Advising one of the world’s leading tyres manufacturers, on various transport and safety issues.
- Providing legal assistance to subsidiary of HAVAS, Turkish ground handling services operator Havas Latvia SIA on regular basis.
- Represented FCG Aviation Development SIA (a part of Flight Consulting Group that has more than 15 years of experience in the business aviation area) as the lessor of aircraft hangars for private aviation in the Riga International Airport.
- Advising Wilhelmsen Ships Service AS (a part of Wilhelmsen Maritime Services AS, a Wilh. Wilhelmsen group company, which is a leading global provider of engineered solutions, products and services to the offshore and maritime industry) on various legal questions.
- Assisted LSEZ AS Liepājas Osta LM, a subsidiary of AS Liepājas Metalurgs, with respect to transporting, stevedoring and forwarding services, labour and tax related issues.
- Advised Jaunmīlgrāvja ostas kompānija SIA (a stevedore company operating in Riga Freeport) on providing of stevedore services (cargo transhipment and handling services).
- Assisting SIA HAVI Logistics, Latvian subsidiary of the Global Lead Logistics Provider HAVI Logistics, in developing templates for transport agreements and rendering legal advice in relation to transport services.
- Advising in everyday work of the company AC Sega SIA, which offers a wide range of road-building services.
- Advising the Lithuanian Ministry of Economy in the development of four transport infrastructure projects via PPP model, including international Via Baltica and Vilnius – Utena roads.