The Legal 500 ranks DERLING as one of the leading legal advisers in Estonia
The Legal 500, a reputable legal directory, has announced the 2017 ratings of Estonian law firms. According to the directory, DERLING provides excellent service and acts in the client’s best interest. DERLING has been recommended among the leading law firms in 9 practice areas. Partners Hannes Vallikivi, Erki Kergandberg, Toomas Taube, Rolan Jankelevitsh, Piret Blankin and Andres Siigur are listed in The Legal 500 elite list ‘Leading lawyers’. Partner Elmer Muna was noted as ‘Next generation lawyer’. Partner Margo Lemetti’s contribution is mentioned in several practice groups. In addition, The Legal 500 published comprehensive overview of our recent highlights from the most important practice areas.
- Commercial, corporate and M&A: According to The Legal 500, DERLING has expertise in the IT and telecoms, banking, insurance, logistics, transport and food industries. Firm’s client roster includes DSV and Nortal.
- Dispute resolution: DERLING fields ‘true professionals who have the ability to translate complex legal issues into easily understandable terms’. ‘Highly dedicated’ practice head Erki Kergandberg is representing Swedbank Liising and Bole in a dispute concerning industrial equipment. Margo Lemetti, who ‘always acts in the client’s best interest and can highlight any possible risks in advance’.
- Banking, finance and capital markets: Practice head Andres Siigur and Hannes Vallikivi are ‘hands-on and business-savvy’. Their clients include the EBRD (which they advised on Estonia’s new investment fund legislation), Eesti Pank and software developer Nortal (which they assisted with the financing of a share buyout transaction).
- EU and competition: Practice head Elmer Muna, Erki Kergandberg and Margo Lemetti form the core of DERLING’s competition department. Muna successfully defended Omniva Group against allegations of unfair terms and conditions. Liviko and Selver are recent clients in cartel-related matters.
- Employment: Key partner Toomas Taube acts for clients such as Avon, Skype, Michelin and Nortal. The team handles contracts, recruitment and termination, structural planning and cross-border employment matters.
- IP, IT and telecoms: IP, IT and telecoms practice is headed by Toomas Taube, who is ‘knowledgeable and effective’ in trade mark and trade name matters, as well as in litigation. He represented HP in several trade mark infringement and customs interception matters.
- Real estate and construction: Practice provides ‘above excellent service’, delivering ‘fast responses and industry knowledge’. Practice head Piret Blankin is ‘excellent in disputes and litigation’ and associate Edgar-Kaj Velbri ‘has a lot of experience in negotiation’. They are representing Adepte in a case against the Ministry of Defence related to the construction of three wind farms in Estonia. Margo Lemetti was assisting Kevili with building a new grain terminal.
- Shipping and transport: Practice head Toomas Taube advised DSV on the sale of a logistics centre to EfTEN Real Estate Fund III and Piret Blankin assisted Kunda Nordic Tsement with issues related to the expansion of its cargo port.
- Tax: Practice handles cross-border tax matters, including advising foreign businesses on entering Estonia, and also acts in tax disputes. Erki Kergandberg and Elmer Muna advised the Estonian Tax and Customs Board on conducting a public procurement.
For 28 years, The Legal 500 has been analysing the capabilities of law firms across the world, with a comprehensive research programme revised and updated every year to bring the most up-to-date vision of the global legal market. The Legal 500 assesses the strengths of law firms in over 100 jurisdictions and highlights the teams who are providing the most cutting edge and innovative service.